VR at Lick Wilmerding: Idea Generation + VR Basics

I wanted to share that my high school, Lick Wilmerding, is purchasing a Vive and this is just the first in a series of articles about how it will be integrated at Lick.

Here are some of the ways in which Virtual Reality might be integrated into Lick’s curriculum during the next year. I see four main areas where VR could potentially be used at Lick: Library, Tech Arts, Film, and the Architecture Program. Before I go over the specifics, let's get some basics about VR out of the way. VR or Virtual Reality is used to place a person in a virtual environment created by the computer, such as flying around the world like superman or exploring the different muscles in the human body. There are three main tiers of VR headsets, with the first tier retailing for $600, tier 2 selling for around $100, and tier 3 retailing for $15. At Lick, we have a tier 1 headset called the HTC Vive. The tier 1 headsets are so special because they have the ability to do full room scale tracking, allowing you to walk around in a set space instead of being stationary.
Image result for htc viveImage result for htc vive
The first place I see the HTC Vive being used is the library. It will allow students to explore places that they have never been to before and use interactive simulations. These simulations will allow students to gain a deeper understanding of material by having a life size human skeleton and muscles that you can explore for the A&P class.
Image result for htc vive blocksThe next place I see VR being used is Tech Arts, as a way to design and a way to see how designs look at full scale. When I was building a chair last year, I started out with my design on Rhino (a design software).  I then used the laser cutter to create prototype after prototype, exploring how different pieces fit together. Looking back, I wish I could have taken my 3D model and just seen it at full scale instead of having to create a physical prototype. The HTC Vive allows students to do exactly that: they can take their models from Rhino and input them directly into the Vive and see them at full scale. They can also design their prototypes directly in the HTC Vive and then export them to Rhino.

I also see VR becoming part of Lick's film curriculum over the next couple years. VR allows you to place people in a new place and let them experience it for themselves. One tradeoff is that it is harder to film and direct people’s attention, compared to regular cameras.

The last place I see VR being integrated into Lick’s curriculum is as part of the architecture program. Students will be able to use VR to walk around their building designs and experience them at life size. Students could also use VR to brainstorm new building ideas.

Thanks for reading my first blogpost. Please post comments and questions!
Sam

Comments

  1. Great first post. I'm excited to see how you start creating more specific connections to some of the disciplines you mention above.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meetings With Teachers

How to set up the vive